The COAA "Winter Works" best practice provides guidelines to follow when developing a winter (cold weather) preparedness construction program specific to the company or site requirements.
Winter conditions in Alberta can start as early as October and continue through to April. Weather and environmental conditions during this time create hazards. If uncontrolled, these hazards can increase the risk of loss to people, equipment, materials, production and the environment. The purpose of this best practice is to provide guidelines to follow when developing a winter preparedness program specific to the company or site requirements.
This best practices will:
- Raise awareness and provide mitigation strategies to reduce the risks associated with working in winter conditions
- Provide a comprehensive guide on winter work preparedness, awareness and implementation
- Propose a schedule for pre-season and post-season activities
- Promote continuous improvement through post-season review, carrying lessons learned forward to the next year
- Provide a tool kit that contractors can use when developing their own winter work program including templates for Winter Work Plans, schedules, forms, checklists, posters and training materials